Saturday, January 14, 2012

Comfort Foods Done Better?: Borscht Soup

Alright, this concludes my week of comfort foods.  Despite all of the extra calories, to my delight, my midsection hasn't suffered a bit!

This soup recipe is a family one that was given to my Grandma from her mother, passed down to my Mom from her Mom, and now passed down to me.  I'm sure it has changed some over the years, but either way, it is super delicious.

Borscht Soup
Schaffer/Fischer/Schmidt/Allen Family Recipe

Ingredient List
  • 4 cans of organic beef broth
  • 6 cans of water
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 tea strainer of pickling spices
  • 4 to 5 medium red potatoes, cubed
  • 1 medium yellow onion, diced
  • 1 green pepper, diced
  • 3 to 4 stalks of celery, sliced
  • 1 head of cabbage, shredded
  • 1 lb carrots peeled and sliced
  • 1 large can of whole tomatoes and it's juice
  • 3/4 cup rice or barley (optional)
  • salt and pepper to taste
Directions
  1. Place all of the ingredients into a stock pot and bring to a boil, including the bay leaves and tea strainer.  With the tomatoes, I always squish them with my hands to break them down a bit.  Be sure to add the juice from the can.
  2. Simmer on low for about 4 hours or until veggies are cooked through.
  3. You might have to add water or tomato juice to keep veggies covered while cooking.  I keep the lid of the pot delicately balanced half way on, just so it doesn't boil the entire time and make the potatoes stick to the bottom of the pot.  Be sure to use the vent fan as this pot will put out some serious steam!
  4. During the last hour of cooking you can add rice or barley if you want.  I sometimes use rice, but due to my allergy, I can't use barley.  It just gives it a little more texture and calories if you need it.
  5. Remove from heat and serve.  My Grandma always adds a little heavy whipping cream, maybe a tablespoon to her bowl, "to thicken it up", which it doesn't, but it does add a delicious little something to it!
     
 


No comments:

Post a Comment