Monday, January 9, 2012

Comfort Foods Done Better?: Homeade Gluten Free Bread & Chicken Salad

Okay, so I admit that I have never really been a big fan of kitchen gadgets, just because I really don't have room for them. I always feel like the novelty wears off and I end up making a trip to Goodwill.  I have done that with the pizza stone, a juicer, handheld mixer, handheld whipper, snowcone maker, electric teapot, etc.  I have really tried to minimize.  The following list is/are the only essentials I NEED and USE regularly!
Kitchen Essentials
  1. Food Processor
  2. Breadman Bread Machine
  3. Kitchenaid mixer
  4. Crockpot
  5. Magic Bullet
So on with my comfort food number 2.  My hubby really turned me on to chicken salad.  I have to admit that I have never been a fan of mixing fruit and meat, let alone mixing those with nuts or even mayo for that matter.  I have always been a Miracle Whip kind of gal!  But I promise, you will love this one!  I catch myself eating it right out of the bowl!

 Homemade Mayo
Ingredient List
  • 1 large egg, brought to room temperature
  • 1 1/2 tbs lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp mustard powder
  • 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 cup avocado oil
  • 1/4 tsp white pepper
  • 1/4 tsp paprika
  • 1tsp white vinegar (optional)
Directions
  1. Combine egg, lemon juice, mustard, and white pepper in food processor and blend until frothy.
  2. Using the drip hole in the top of the processor, drizzle the oil in drop by drop.  DO NOT rush this process!  You'll end up with scrambled eggs and oil!
  3. If you need to add more zip, add 1 tsp of white vinegar.
Chicken Salad
Ingredient List
  • 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 cup celery, finely chopped
  • 1 small red onion, minced
  • 1 cup green or red seedless grapes or both, sliced
  • 2 tbs Dijon mustard
  • 1/8 tsp kosher sea salt
  • 1 tsp ground mustard
  • 1/2 ground black pepper
  • 1 cup mayo
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Coat casserole dish with organic cooking spray.
  2. Place chicken breasts in dish, sprinkle with ground black pepper and kosher sea salt over the top and cook uncovered for about 45min.
  3. Remove chicken from oven and let cool.
  4. Mix all other ingredients in large bowl.
  5. Once chicken has cooled, roughly chop and combine with all other ingredients.
Homemade Gluten Free Bread
I used a mix "Bread From Anna".  I made the following changes to the mix.  This can be made either in the oven or in a bread machine using the gluten free setting.
  1. Use 2 whole large eggs and 2 large egg whites.
  2. Increase oil to 1/3 cup.
  3. Use 2 tbs of honey instead of sugar.
Gluten Free:  Homemade Bread and Chicken Salad

No comments:

Post a Comment